Saturday, October 13, 2007

Gwyn's Cakes

I can't believe that I forgot to post the cakes for my Maid of Honor's wedding. She'd be a jKnottie too, if she felt creative enough. I kind of make up the creative side of the two of us while she works to fund the arts & keeps me informed of related political issues.



They wanted a recreation of a cake from the Wilton Books. I adapted a little to make it simpler seeing as I had to make it the day of the rehearsal. The castle lights up, the tiara was her mother in law's, and the gloves under the tiara were some that Gwyn & I wore with a ballet costume in Middle school. She used my cake servers since they forgot they'd need some, or the ones they were going to use got lost in the shuffle. Thank goodness I'd brought them for the RD cake!



Gwyn is basically an adopted member of my family since I've known her since preschool. We ALL chipped in to help make her cakes. From LtoR: Dad engineered the ramp for the carriage & fixed the cake topper when it broke. Anna helped to make drop flowers & some small detail designs, Gwyn was the bride obviously, I did all of the major decorating and design, Laura helped with drop flowers, icing, and moral support, Mom baked the cakes and helped with drop flowers. Why four girls doing drop flowers? Because we needed over 1000 for the borders.

Keep in mind too, that this was the cake that melted during transportation. The sheet cakes, and the bottom tier got too hot in the car because the AC wasn't working. Mom, dad, & I were icing and redecorating all of them an hour before the ceremony, IN the reception hall.




This was the groom's cake that I made as a surprise for the rehearsal dinner. Gwyn's husband is a sugar beet farmer, as is his whole family. I decided that with the Cinderella theme of their other cake, that a carriage would be appropriate. My dad came up with the idea to fashion the carriage out of a sugar beet, rather than a pumpkin like Cind. had.



It is being pulled by a ceramic snail that I painted (an ode to Gwyn's dad's doctoral research on snails). The wheels and signs were made out of white candy melts. Only the trees and some of the dowels used for support were non-edible.

Laura was invaluable with this project as she's worked with fondant before and I haven't. I've always hated the stuff because it tastes so awful. My philosophy is that if I won't eat it, I won't serve/sell it. However, she found a marshmallow fondant recipe that is actually really yummy, so that's what we used to cover the cake to make the carriage shape. She loaned me tools and did the basic construction of the beet shape. Dad also helped with the engineering of this cake since that beet was REALLY heavy! It was a fun project, and sadly, Laura never got to see the finished product in person, just photos. Best of all...the groom's family loved it.

No comments: