Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Frying Frensy

After reading about Nikki's doughnuts yesterday, I got the taste for them. I love doughnuts from the cider mill and thought it would be nice to try making them myself. In addition, I found a recipe at my mom's house for old fashioned apple fritters. Brian and I love fritters from the bakery, so I thought I would try my hand at them. Yumm. I had a packet of icing left from some freezer cinnamon rolls, so I used that rather than making any of the icings. I also used my wok for the frying, which worked pretty well but was a little shallow for the fritters. Still better than a pan on the stove though since it has a thermostat built in.



For the doughnut recipe, visit Nikki's blog:
http://crazydeliciousfood.wordpress.com/2007/10/23/vermont-apple-cider-donuts/
I used my 1.5 teaspoon sized ice cream scoop for dropping the batter into the oil. It worked GREAT! This batter is way to runny to try and cut out on a board, so I decided I wouldn't even try regular doughnuts. I like the holes better anyway. Like Nikki said, I think that this is missing something. I think just a few more spices would add a lot, but I'll probably try making these again to see if I can figure it out.

-----

The Apple Fritters are so easy:
(I made only a half batch, & we have plenty!)

2 cups milk
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
4 apples, peeled, cored, & chopped
Vegetable Oil

Mix milk, flour, salt & eggs until well blended. (I also added a few pinches of sugar and some cinnamon & nutmeg, just pinches of each.) Fold in chopped apples. Drop batter by tablespoons (I did about 1/8 to 1/4 cup) into saute pan of hot vegetable oil. Cook 3 or 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towel.

Optional sauce: 1/2 cup softened margarine mixed with some sugar & nutmeg or grated lemon peel. (I really liked using the leftover cream cheese icing from our cinnamon rolls though).


2 comments:

CB said...

DANG! those look so good. I <3 donut holes... YUMMY!

Laura said...

I just made some pumpkin donuts yesterday....very tasty!